Antique 1942 Broadhurst Clarkson of London 36" Big Brass 3 Draw Telescope in a Wooden Box
Antique 1940's Broadhurst Clarkson of London 36" Big Brass 3 Draw Telescope in a Wooden Box
This special solid brass telescope was made by 'BROADHURST CLARKSON & CO.LTD., 63 FARRINGDON ROAD, LONDON in 1942.
The powerful telescope has 3 draws with a sliding sunshade that keeps the glare of the sunlight off the lens. It is wonderful piece and would make an excellent gift for a person with outdoor pursuits like hunting, shooting, deer stalking, bird watching, coastal boat viewing etc.
It has the original markings inside the telescope draw near the eyepiece :
The word LOW is stamped above the small lens filter near the eyepiece.
The telescope comes in a wooden presentation box with a custom made brass plaque with all the details of the item.
Weighs 1.8kgs with the box & over 2kgs when packed for shipping.
Please not the telescope is nearly 80 years old and used during the World War II, there is some were and tear , bumps , lumps and scratches etc.
Fully extended 36" or 92 cm
Fully shut 11" or 28 cm
Diameter 6 cm or 2.26 "
About Broadhurst Clarkson & Co., Telescope House, 63 Farringdon Road, EC1, London
In 1750 Benjamin Martin established an instrument business with his son Joshua joining him in 1778. Joshua went on to patent a method for manufacturing brass tubing in 1782, the same year the firm was sold to Charles Tulley. The Tulley family ran the business through to 1844 when it was sold to Robert Mills who, in turn, sold on to Alexander Clarkson in 1873.
Broadhurst became a partner in the business in 1892 but had a falling out with Clarkson resulting in the partnership splitting in 1908. Broadhurst promptly moved to 63 Farringdon Road and named the building Telescope House.
In a shrewd move, Broadhurst realised the value of the good Clarkson name and began trading as Broadhurst Clarkson & Co. In house, the firm were able to produce both the lenses and the brass tubes (using Joshua Martin's patented machine). They also operated a showroom and shop on site.
With the advent of the First World War in 1914, the business expanded to support the war effort, opening a second lens making facility in London supported by a telescope factory in Watford.
After the war the business went from strength to strength for a few decades before a steady decline through the '50s and '60s when, by the end of the decade, the business had receded back into Telescope House, closing all other factories.
A gentleman named Dudley Fuller acquired the firm in 1973 renaming it Broadhurst Clarkson and Fuller who have gone on to represent Meade Instruments and supply an extensive dealership network in the U.K.